26 July, 2023 – CENN, with the support of the European Union and in partnership with the Young Pedagogues’ Union, within the framework of the ongoing EU-funded projects “Georgia Climate Action Project (GEO-CAP)” and “Green Guria”, hosted a 3-day media tour on the topic “Discover Guria – climate change and rural development in Ozurgeti, Lanchkhuti and Chokhatauri municipalities.”
The media tour aimed to raise awareness of the media representatives on climate change and sustainable rural development. A total of 12 participants from four regions of Georgia attended the tour. Among the journalists were representatives of Kvemo Kartli, Shida Kartli, Guria and Tbilisi media organisations.
During the 3-day information tour, journalists got acquainted with the topics such as climate change, its mitigation and adaptation, the importance of civil activism in mitigating climate change, windbreaks and their importance in combating climate change. In addition, media representatives attended thematic sessions about the economic potential of the Guria region and the LEADER approach to rural development introduced by the European Union and the importance of local action groups (LAG).
In order to share practical experience, the journalists visited the local entrepreneurs and learned about the specifics of tea and dried fruit production, agro and ecotourism facilities and various opportunities for tourism development in the region.
As part of the media tour, a competition was held for media participants. The contest requirement includeded submitting media products on climate change and rural development topics developed by media-tour participants by July 20, 2023. Winning authors have been identified into three categories and awarded the following prizes:
- 1st place – article: Magda Tsertsvadze, businessformula.ge, Tbilisi, 600₾ hardware store voucher
- 1st place – radio reportage: Tsira Mgvdeladze, RADIOWW, Bolnisi, 600₾ hardware store voucher
- 1st place – TV report: Leri Kochalidze, TOK TV, Tsalka, 600₾ hardware store voucher
- Special prize – article: Rezo Kereselidze, NEOTV, Gori, educational materials and eco-products
The media tour was organised within the following ongoing EU-funded projects:
- The “Georgia Climate Action Project (GEO-CAP) which is promoting civil society engagement in climate change (CC) policy design and implementation. The project is being implemented by CENN with its partner organisations, KRDF, ACU, YPU, and RLS-ADA, in the project’s four focal regions of Georgia: Guria, Imereti, Kakheti, Racha-Lechkhumi and Lower Svaneti.
- The “Green Guria – Supporting Local Democracy and Rural Development for Inclusive and Resilient Green Growth” project which supports the Georgian government in improving the economic and social conditions of vulnerable rural communities in Georgia’s Guria region by enhancing civic participation, inclusive rural development, and green growth. The project is implemented by CENN in cooperation with partner organisations: the Young Pedagogues’ Union, the Institute of Democracy, and the Local Action Group of KEDA (LAG), supported by the European Union within the European Neighbourhood Program for Rural and Agricultural Development ENPARD IV.
For further questions, please contact:
Ana Petriashvili, Communications Specialist, CENN
Tel: 599 522 127, E-mail: email@example.com